Tuesday 10 May 2011

Sheathing the daggerboard

Nope, I haven’t fallen off the end of the earth just been busy with family, work and other projects.

I had a bit of time at the weekend and finished shaping the rudder blade having already done the daggerboard, I then got on with sheathing the daggerboard with woven glass mat while also glassing the tip of the rudder.

I found the easiest method was to hang the daggerboard, give it a nice wet coat of epoxy (some of which is absorbed) and then lay the glass on top.  I initially used gloved hand to flatten down then a plastic squeegee.  Having the epoxy soak through the glass can case lots of small micro-bubbles and that can give the coating a milky appearance but this excess epoxy (not much) was removed with the plastic squeegee.  Once the epoxy started to set a second and then a third cost was applied to fill the weave of the cloth.

There is still a little of the weave showing so I will clean up, abrade and apply another coat when sheathing the rudder.




Not sure how much time I will have over the next two months but will try and put a bit of time in as and when I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment