Monday 24 January 2011

Mast and Yard wait for no man....

This weekend the progress had not been quite as quick as the previous weekend, however the mast is now pretty much complete. The edges of the mast have be under the router to round them off and I have filled the few nicks I made in the wood while building. The mast just needs some glass around the bottom end and a coat of Epoxy all over to seal. I have started shaping the yard that has a taper at both ends but there is still quite a bit of work to get this completed, probably another couple of evenings.

I have just been reading on the Storer Boats forum about a couple of GIS owners than have had a Carbon Fibre rig made that has resulted in a big weight saving aloft. While the racer me would like to have a carbon rig it does go slightly against the idea of a simple to build and relatively cheap boat. I believe that she will sail well with the standard rig I am building but it would be interesting to have some boat-on-boat tuning time to see how well the various tweaks and changes work in the real world.

No comments:

Post a Comment