Friday 14 January 2011

To quote Mr. R Harris “can you tell what it is yet?”

The wood-butcher workshop has had a rather large delivery of materials. Six sheets of Plywood have arrived along with lots of Doug Fir, Western Red Cedar and some White Oak, in fact everything a prospective GIS builder could wish for. I have cheated a little bit and had all the wood pre-machined to the correct size and it took quite some time to check through the delivery to ensure that everything was there. One day I will have the workshop equipment to prepare all the materials myself but until then I have great confidence in Robins Timber to supply what I need planned exactly down to size.

It was actually rather daunting looking at all the virgin materials and thinking where to start; I recall a similar feeling before starting Naughty Note but a lot of sawdust has been swept off the floor since then. I know now that by breaking the build down into lots of easy steps the bigger piece of work soon comes together.

I plan to start by building the hollow mast first followed by foils and centreboard case as these are all items that will be required during the hull build so it makes sense to start with them and not hold up the build later. The boom and yard will probably wait until I am closer to the finish as I have some decisions to make about the sail, how much bend I want in the yard and how I’m going to reef the sail, so there is plenty to mull-over while cracking on with the build.

As before, no time limit has been set for the project, with a young family and sailing events this year spare time will be hard to come by so I doubt it will be launched in 2011. The flip side of this is that the longer the build the more time there is to get the name right, as we all know, that is crucial!

Earlier this week I decided to make a little model of the Goat. As you can see from the pics it is a little “rough and ready” so I should have spent a little more time concentrating on this rather than watching a film but it gives me a nice idea of the shape in 3D and even Mrs Wood-butcher agreed that the GIS has nice lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment